Re: Proposals to improve the scribe situation

2008-08-04 00:37:17
On 3 aug 2008, at 18:26, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

I find that scribing on jabber has a number of advantages

On the other hand, having the jabber room monopolized by the scribe reduces its usefulness as an additional channel for communication.

Now that we have audio for all sessions (although sometimes the quality is far from ideal) is it really necessary to repeat everything that's being said in jabber?

I think the jabber scribe function should be reduced to announcing new speakers and giving some hints about which slides are on the screen. The jabber room can then be used by local and remote participants as an extra channel rather than a reduced bandwidth copy of the audio.

3.) A minor point, but I would urge WG chairs to formally designate someone (possibly themselves) to relay questions from jabber. This seems to fall to the jabber scribe, even though it is impossible to stand at the
mike and scribe at the same time !

An extra microphone for the question relayer would also be useful. What I always try to do in this situation is sit next to the mike...