Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

2008-08-09 11:53:39
John and Dave,

I think that both of you (and some others) arwe looking at the ID_Checklist
too much as if it is part of our (rigid) process. Our processes aredescribed
in formally approved BCP documents.

The ID-Checklist is intended (or at least that is how it started, and as far
as I am concerned that is still the intention) to help in a few areas:

- Make document authors/editors and WG chairs (and reviewers) aware
 of the many little things we found as ADs and IESG when reviewing
 documents that came out of WGs. Those mistakes always later caused
 confusion and delay in the further process.
- Reduce the document-time of AD, IESG, IETF LC-reviewers, RFC-Editor by
 reducing extra steps to fix little and simple things.
- All those simple things were (and still are) documented in other RFCs or
 in the RFC-Editor Style manual, and so it is/was not a new set of
 rules or requirements
- Authors/Editors SHOULD know all these little things, but they often
 did/do not know exactly what they are or where to find them.
 The ID_Checklist is intended to help find these things.
- By documenting these things, it became easier/quicker to point to them
 (both if found at AD or IESG review and earlier)
- By documenting them, the WG-Chair (document shepherd) can do a lot
 of these checks, so that they can not slip through later in the process
 or delay the process afetr IESG approves.
- I believe that the ID-Checklist also helped Henrik write the id-nits tool that
 will do a check for most of the checlist items that can (reasonably) be
 checked by software

I remember that before we had the ID-Checklist, we often wasted a lot of time on this simple things (be it by taking a DISCUSS, by interacting with the authors,
by adding RFC-Editor notes, By later checking if things were fixed, By later
discussing aith editors/authos why such little fixes were made etc etc ect).

So I believe it has served its purpose very well.
And I also believe that the intended purpose is still served very well with the
current version, albeit that some clarifications an dupdates to ptrs and
citations/references are in order.

Pls do not consider this ID-Checklist as part of our BCP approved process
documents. That is not the intention of it and I think it would be bad to
try and make it part of our set of BCPs that describe our (IETF) process.

So I am not prepared yet to take on a massige reorg and as a result
probably a long discussion and wordtsmitting effort.

If Russ (or the IESG) tells me that they DO want a complete re-org I will
re-consider. But that was/is not the task I was asked to do (I believe).

I hope you understand

Bert
Editor of the ID_Checklist.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John C Klensin" <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>