Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

2008-08-09 08:50:40
This suggests to allow more gTLDs for use as examples.
It seems to me that that would mean an update to RFC2606,
an I consider that out of scope for the ID-Checklist document.

So I will ignore all discussion on this for the current updates.
If an updated 2606 ever occurs, I will accept to update
ID-Checklist accordingly.

Bert
Editor of ID-Checklist

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill McQuillan" <McQuilWP(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
To: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

On Wed, 2008-07-09, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
If an example describes a complex network topology, it could be appropriate to use a variety of names, IP addresses or prefixes that are easily disambiguated, so that the reader might follow the example more easily.

I wonder if it would make it easier to use "example" DNS names if, in addition to the verbose and clumsy: "*.example", IMHO, we reserved gTLDs like "*.foo", "*.bar", "*.bat", "*.baz", as well as the one used quite frequently on this list lately: "*.tld", for use as example DNS names. Or do we assume that economic concerns would triumph here?