Re: Call for review of proposed update to ID-Checklist

2008-08-10 08:38:40

Bert Wijnen (IETF) wrote:
I think that both of you (and some others) arwe looking at the ID_Checklist
too much as if it is part of our (rigid) process. Our processes are described in formally approved BCP documents.

Bert,

I am trying to distinguish between what the Checklist "is intended to be" from the competing views of what it actually is, as discussed in this thread 8-11 July. That thread made clear that a variety of serious and thoughtful people have very different views on the actuality.

This sort of debate is never resolved by abstract exchanges. It needs hard data.

I think your previous note correctly listed what the document was (and probably is) *intended* to be. I think the thread made clear there is a strong case that the document has become more than that. I think it also made clear that the basis for its becoming more is fuzzy.

So my suggestion is not seeking to directly resolve the matter, but rather to provide a tool for discussion. Simply put, it adds an audit trail to the document's content that should help folks by providing some relatively objective information that makes clear what is and is not based on rules defined elsewhere.

Hence, I am hoping that detailed attention to John's note following-up my own suggestion comes later, since I read it as possibly seeking to resolve things directly. More probably, he was merely trying to help make the case for why the document needs substantiation of its particulars.

I suggested that you perform the audit exercise partly because you are the one modifying the document and partly because you are friendly to the document's current form.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking