Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

2008-09-22 09:29:04
Magnus Westerlund <magnus dot westerlund at ericsson dot com> wrote:

I think any one of us would be might irritated to learn that the suddenly started receive spam in large quantities because someone published their address in example in an internet draft or RFC.

and later:

And I would be kind of annoyed if anyone of you decided to publish one of my private addresses without my permission. That is why SPAM was listed as an example.

Is that the concern, that people will start receiving spam to their e-mail addresses, or excessive or inappropriate hits on their Web site, unexpectedly or without their permission, because these addresses were used in an RFC or I-D unexpectedly or without their permission?

I think that is a completely different use case, and moral problem, from using one's own e-mail address or URL in a document, or using well-known addresses such as <Postel(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu> that have already appeared in well-known and heavily cited RFCs (John's use case that launched the present debate).

http://www.ewellic.org