Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

2008-09-23 09:08:05
Dave CROCKER skrev:

Magnus Westerlund wrote:
From my point of view the long usage and the lack of actual reported issues and minimal impact a change would have on the situation is why I cleared when I finally was engaged in any discussion on the issue.

Magnus,

Offhand, it would seem as if these ought to be strong factors nearly always. If folks disagree, that's probably worth discussing, since this is such a fundamental issue. (It's called protecting the installed base...)

Fundamentally I do agree on this. However, I am also quite concerned that we in the IETF are not receiving reports about any problems we are creating. If an example creates just a little extra load this may never be looked into. One simply accepts it. I see a problem of correctly categorizing the impact of examples. That is why I would error on the side of caution. Especially when this can be done without any significant impact on how examples reads.

At the least, it would seem that it ought to require that a very compelling case be made for changing things.

If you are talking about updates to already deployed specifications I agree. But when it comes to new specifications that are written now I don't see a reason to not think about this.

From what you are saying, it swayed you at the end. But evidently you weren't swayed at the start. It might be worth understanding why not, since it might provide some input for better understanding these types of disconnection between a working group's comfort with a decision, versus and area director's dis-comfort.

In the SMTP case there where never any communication with me in the loop about my discuss position until after the appeal has been submitted. From the point we actually had any discussion it didn't take that long. But clearly a communication problem that involved several parties.

I still consider it impolite to use others domain names and would have preferred to have some of the domain names changed for that reason.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair