Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

2008-09-22 05:41:00
Hi John,

I have tried to write a statement that allows the IESG to use common sense. However, the problem I have seen several times when the IESG tries to use common sense in issues that comes up regularly is that some people complains about not knowing about this and that we can't enforce it because there are no written rules. Thus the draft statement is an attempt to satisfy several different requirements:

- Provide motivation why there are issues with examples
- Provide some guidance on how to handle situations which aren't clear cut
- Be clear that this is something IESG do look at and authors need to think about. - Prevent complaints about late surprise and heavy hands when we are applying what we think are common sense.

If you have a suggestion on how this better can be written up I am interested.

When it comes to harm, I think we clearly have some cases where examples can have really serious effects, configurations being what comes to mind. When it comes to email addresses they are primarily an annoyance, but I think any one of us would be might irritated to learn that the suddenly started receive spam in large quantities because someone published their address in example in an internet draft or RFC. I think that this is as far as this goes and something any contributor to the IETF unfortunately have to pay for their contribution in an open organization with open access to its documents.

Best Regards

Magnus

--

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair