Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

2008-09-23 15:20:09

However, I am also quite concerned that we in the IETF are not
receiving reports about any problems we are creating.

If we are not receiving any reports, then any assertion that there is a
problem is a theoretical exercise.

  A DISCUSS is not an _assertion_ that there is a problem: it is a call
for deliberation.

With you so far, all the way down to ...

Such exercises can be useful, but they form a very poor basis for
blocking something that has a couple of decades of established practice.

  Here's the heart of this discussion: because a DISCUSS is blocking,
Dave asserts it must not be exercised without substantial research.

Out of the eleventy-seven flavors of DISCUSS, some ARE blocking. Others aren't intended to survive the first telechat ("process DISCUSS", or "discuss DISCUSS", and after sitting with the IESG for three years I don't know if these are the same or not). All wear the same nametag.

My understanding of Dave's point is that a DISCUSS must not be BLOCKING without substantial research. That's not quite the same thing.

Thanks,

Spencer