Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

2008-09-23 08:36:37
SM skrev:
At 03:01 22-09-2008, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
As I stated in response to John's question. No, the spam problem for us contributors are one of the prices to contribute to IETF unfortunately.

Item (1) takes us one step closer to discouraging the publication of email addresses instead of seeing it as one of the prices to pay for contributing to the IETF. I suggest dropping item (1) from the proposed statement.

Okay.

Will authors have to seek the permission from the holders, in the case of domain names (e.g. www.w3.org), before using such domains in RFCs?

Depends fully on the context. In a reference I clearly say no. In a configuration script or as point to load validation data from, definitely!

That sounds sensible at the outset. The following question is for a specific case. Will the IESG ask (I-D) authors to seek permission from the W3C before using the domain name in XML schemas?

I would say no, without looking into this. Schema names that include domains clearly need to be included and in my view the one publishing schemas implictly have allowed the usage. I think this comes back to the common sense angle of this.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair