Re: Call for review of proposed IESG Statement on Examples

2008-09-22 06:01:58
SM skrev:

1) Spam: apparently valid email addresses in an RFC are widely believed
to have been harvested and included in Spam lists. The domain may receive
spam at mailboxes other than the one used in the example email address, if
the domain name is used in common name or brute force attacks.

Given that the IESG states that the use of valid email addresses causes unwanted traffic, will the IESG prohibit the use of valid email addresses in RFCs?

As I stated in response to John's question. No, the spam problem for us contributors are one of the prices to contribute to IETF unfortunately.

Will authors have to seek the permission from the holders, in the case of domain names (e.g. www.w3.org), before using such domains in RFCs?

Depends fully on the context. In a reference I clearly say no. In a configuration script or as point to load validation data from, definitely!

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair