Re: [73attendees] Is USA qualified for 2.3ofdraft-palet-ietf-meeting-venue-selection-criteria?

2008-11-19 12:53:36
The folks to contact are the IAOC. The IETF Chair is on the IAOC.

As to visa issues, as Randy opines, the issue tends to be visa processing. Depending on country pair, there are interesting issues around the globe. The US Embassies in China and Russia seem to not have IETF attendance on their list of important events for the Chinese or Russians to attend - or anything else that happens in the US. Last year, when I was asked to speak at RANS and specifically speak on a panel chaired by the Colonel-General that runs Department K (cybercrime) of the Russian police, the FSB decided that they needed to look at my visa application, and calmly told me that the announcement would come on the day that I was to speak. We could discuss, as someone else mentioned in this thread, the gymnastics necessary to enter China last summer; I visited in June, August, and October, and went through some serious dance steps each time.

We could discuss the various countries in the middle east, or what folks in Asia often call "western asia"; 'nuff said. And then there is China vs Taiwan, regardless of how you parse the Taiwan Straits issue.

I would be hesitant to drag the IETF into world politics; the law of Unintended Consequences was invented to describe politics, I think.