Re: [BEHAVE] Lack of need for 66nat : Long term impact to application developers

2008-11-24 08:47:34

On Nov 24, 2008, at 5:56 AM, Eric Klein wrote:

We need a team made up of both sides to sit down, spell out what are the functions of NAT (using v4 as a basis) and then to see if: 1. If they are still relevant (like number shortage from v4 is not the same issue under v6 for example)
2. Do they already exist in v6 without adding NAT

This was already done, and the results are in RFC 4864.

Then we need to check:
1. Is there is a solution by using NAT
2. Is there is a better solution than using NAT

#2 was done in the gap analysis section of RFC 4864.

I'm not sure what you mean by #1, because if you start with a list of the functions of NAT, the fact that NAT can be used for those functions just follows, doesn't it?

Only then can we make a proper and informed decission on what is needed and what is unneeded legacy.

I think we are ready to do this, based on the information in RFC 4864. Do you see anything missing from 4864 that needs to be analyzed further? If so, could you send specific points, and perhaps we can consider an update?

Margaret