Re: It's time for some new steps (was: [Welcome to the "Ietf-honest" mailing list])

2009-02-09 20:20:57
Dave: I disagree ...

Dean's mail does not hurt any of us.  OK, it does take a minute of our
time to unsubscribe but that's it.  The ietf list will see the same
messages it has already been seeing; his list will carry a few other
messages for people who choose to use it.  Messages sent to his list
and resent to ietf will continue to have the originating author, who
can be banned if appropriate.  A broad irrevocable ban on anything
developed by a particular person goes beyond what I hope is still the
spirit of the IETF.

The FSF firestorm is another question: For example, should we require
subscription in order to have posting rights?  It's attractive but
there have been objections in the past, and the FSF attack will be
over soon -- long before we finish discussing whether to act on your
suggestion.

Scott

Excerpts from Dave CROCKER on Mon, Feb 09, 2009 04:38:00PM -0800:
Folks,

The enclosed comes from iadl.org which is controlled by av8.com which is
controlled by Dean Anderson.

Normally, I advocate entirely ignoring silliness, but the current version
of it is more than silly.

This action by Dean is not merely posting inappropriate notes that would
warrant temporary suspension of list privileges.  It is an organized,
aggressive and -- if you look at the web page associated with iadl.org
web page -- highly ad hominem attack on the IETF community.

Since we happen to simultaneously be suffering a DOS attack on the list
from a separately-concerned community, I suggest that it is time for
taking some new steps:

  1. Permanently and irrevocably ban postings from any and all addresses
that Dean controls.  An organized attack warrants it.

  2. Highten strictures on ietf list posting.  I'm not entirely clear
what level the current bar is set to, but we need to set it higher, to
reduce the ability to limit the ability of organized advocate groups to
disrupt the list.

The IETF list culture was formulated for a more civilized time.  We wish
we still lived in that town.

This isn't about message content.  It's about efforts at disruption.

d/