Re: Subscriptions to "ietf-honest"

2009-03-25 13:44:11
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:10:04AM -0700, Joe Abley wrote:
I have lost my sense of humour about this. It's hard to see this as
anything other than a systematic attempt to disrupt IETF activities.

It is my suspicion that the perpetrating gang is attempting to goad
volunteers into legal recourse.  I suspect this gang believes that
their actions will either cause IETF volunteers to create a legal
context for them to exploit (CAN SPAM suits), or that IETF's attempts
to filter or restrict access will create a legal context for them to
attack (the gang's leadership cites Exactis vs MAPS with fervor, which
I think they believe proves a network cannot restrict access to
itself).

"Heads we win, tails you lose."

Anyone who's ever participated in an Internet community knows the
score here.

There are trolls for whom ostracization from the community solves the
problem; they find another community to infect and become distracted.

There are trolls that never believed they were part of the community
to start with, bold adventurers or risk takers, individualists outside
the realm of conformity, lone rangers who must stand alone against a
tide of injustice.  Ostracization does not quiet their discomfort, it
justifies it.

The only thing I have seen work for this second category of troll is
to talk to their mother.

--
David W. Hankins        "If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer                    you'll just have to do it again."