Re: WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-21 08:06:40
"David" == David W Hankins <David_Hankins(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> writes:

    David> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 06:08:40PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
    >> I'd actually appreciate focus on the multiple interfaces (or
    >> multiple network providers) problem.  I think that attacking
    >> this in full generality is well beyond what we can manage.  I
    >> think even a focused problem may prove challenging.

    David> I'm not sure if this agrees or disagrees with your view;

    David> I think the problem being skirted, and the one that needs
    David> resolution, is any situation where a host receives
    David> configuration from two different administrative domains it
    David> straddles, regardless of mechanism.

Well put.

    David> A single administrative domain that wishes to present
    David> inconsistent configuration seems like a problem that can be
    David> solved by having the domain present itself as two (or
    David> more).

This is the sort of thing I'd like to see out of scope for the MIF
working group.  I'd also like to see source address selection within a
domain including cases like choosing between ULAs and global prefixes
within a domain, route selection within a domain, etc all ruled out of
scope.