Re: [mif] WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-21 15:15:29
Melinda Shore wrote:
Keith Moore wrote:
And I don't know why you think that the discussion is "already headed"
toward policy when the group isn't even chartered yet.  Certainly the
discussion on the IETF list isn't "already headed" that way.

You can call it "foo" for all I care, but much of what's
been discussed so far is policy.  From the proposed
charter:

"A host connected to multiple networks has to make decisions about
default router selection, address selection, DNS server selection,
choice of interface for packet transmission, and the treatment of
configuration information received from the various networks. Some
configuration objects are global to the node, some are local to the
interface, and some are related to a particular prefix. Various issues
arise when multiple configuration objects that are global to the node
are received on different interfaces. At best, decisions about these
matters have an efficiency effect. At worst, they have more significant
effects such as security impacts, or even lead to communication not
being possible at all."

That's all policy.

you're arguing that the charter should stay as it is because the charter
says what it says?  sounds circular to me.

Keith