Re: [mif] WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-21 17:49:29

On Apr 21, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

You can call it "foo" for all I care, but much of what's
been discussed so far is policy.  From the proposed
charter:

"A host connected to multiple networks has to make decisions about
default router selection, address selection, DNS server selection,
choice of interface for packet transmission, and the treatment of
configuration information received from the various networks. Some
configuration objects are global to the node, some are local to the
interface, and some are related to a particular prefix. Various issues
arise when multiple configuration objects that are global to the node
are received on different interfaces. At best, decisions about these
matters have an efficiency effect. At worst, they have more significant
effects such as security impacts, or even lead to communication not
being possible at all."

That's all policy.

My shaman once said "For God, everything is just a question of policy." But, we need to reduce this problem to a more mortal scope, and I'm not quite certain that the proposed charter text accomplishes this goal.

There's a tremendous amount of complexity inherent in the problem. I suspect as worded that it is roughly isomorphic to the peering problem, with all the business-driven policy consideration that entails.

Consider that peering policy is often driven by things that are well beyond the scope of protocol. Its potential range of expression is unlimited; in fact driven by a natural-language contract and heuristic operations on underspecified constraints derived from that natural- language contract.

The only alternative I can see here is to try and reduce the range of expression. One such approach might be to develop a policy language having the property of an algebra, so that policies can be written and interpreted in a defined manner, and so that the combinations and interactions of multiple policies can be evaluated and applied predictably in automata and simulation.

This requires a substantial body of precursor work: What things should the language be able to express? What combinatorial operations are required? What are the relative priorities of linguistic statements? What sorts of fundamental things should the policy describe (we have things like route selection, prefix manipulation, addressing, access rules, name services, name defaults, and so on to consider as options).

Even with this sort of model, I am not confident at our ability to achieve success, at least without even more substantive reductions in the scope of the effort.

Can we narrow it down some more?

--
Dean Willis