RE: [mif] WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

2009-04-21 12:40:27
I think that there are many working groups, standard bodies and
technologies who focuses on multiple addresses per host. So, I'd  also
like MIF to concentrate on simultaneous connections to multiple networks
(or simultaneous use of multiple connections with multiple networks). I
believe that most of cases for simultaneous connections to multiple
networks require multiple addresses. However, it does not need to be the
main focus, but MIF NEEDS it. So, I would like to say that multiple
addresses per host needs to be addressed for simultaneous use of
multiple connections. Therefore, I think working on MIF problem should
be more than just focusing on multiple addresses.

Giyeong

-----Original Message-----
From: mif-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:mif-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of
Sam Hartman
Sent: April 20, 2009 6:09 PM
To: Keith Moore
Cc: Ted Hardie; Adrian Farrel; mif; IETF Discussion
Subject: Re: [mif] WG Review: Multiple InterFaces (mif)

"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> writes:

    Keith> It seems to me that the general problem is not multiple
    Keith> interfaces, but multiple addresses per host.  It doesn't
    Keith> matter (much) whether those addresses result from multiple
    Keith> physical interfaces, a combination of physical and virtual
    Keith> network interfaces, multiple prefixes being advertised on
    Keith> the network attached to any particular interface, or even a
    Keith> mixture of v4 and v6.

    Keith> So that might have some impact on the name, particularly if
    Keith> you want to attract the breadth of interests whom this
    Keith> affects.  Something like Hosts Addressed Multiply (HAM),
    Keith> perhaps?

I'd actually appreciate focus on the multiple interfaces (or multiple
network providers) problem.  I think that attacking this in full
generality is well beyond what we can manage.  I think even a focused
problem may prove challenging.

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.