Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

2009-05-25 11:20:30
For better or for worse, several years ago, in reaction to the
difficulty people were having attending IETF meetings due to the late
announcement of meeting dates and/or clashes with other groups, the
decision was made to build a comprehensive do-not-clash list and
announce meeting dates as far in advance as possible. This also helps
other groups that don't schedule quite so far in advance to avoid
clashing with the IETF. This is much more convenient, IMHO, then the
way it used to be, which tried to optimize meeting costs/locations
while keeping dates relatively fluid for as long as possible.

Scheduling meetings this large is not an easy task, and the relative
certainty on dates makes it easier on both the attendees and the
planners. The current schedule does a relatively good job of not
clashing with either other meetings of importance, and major religious
or other holidays.

You obviously can't please everyone, but in the aggregate, I think the
IETF is doing a pretty good job on meeting planning. Try being an
ITU-T regular and you'll end up in places where it's not safe to leave
the hotel (like the Caracas meeting, where at least one attendee was
kidnapped and robbed by his taxi driver) or you'll be in Geneva all
the time, where they charge $500 for a decent hotel room.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum