Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

2009-05-25 13:23:49
Hi Ole -

You actually are answering questions I didn't ask.  What I asked was "which
IETF meetings did you find problematic and why"?  One of the reasons I'm asking
is because of your IAOC membership. I'm just curious what your thresholds are
for travel pain (and how and maybe even why they differ from others on the
list).

Thanks for clarifying the time in Japan to Yokohama - it was a while back and
I'm not surprised I was off by a 1/2 hour.

Of what I've read so far, John Levine's note was probably the most helpful on
understanding the train pain for this trip.

To respond to your comment that this group believes that "train" == "pain" -
its not that exactly, but it is the number of changes and segments and delays
and connections for each and a general unfamiliarity with each of the
destination train systems  Speaking for myself, I'm perfectly happy taking the
train if there are a) lots of schedule possibilities to match up with the
airplane - after flying for  10-24 hours the last thing I want to do is sit in
a train station waiting room for 2-3 hours and b) that (a) doesn't require me
to spend 3 hours changing trains in a system I'm not familiar with and that I
might not travel again for years if ever and c) getting there by air is either
impossible or not timely.

I know how to travel in the air system and I can figure out the connections
well in advance - the same has not always been the case for trains in the
destination countries and at least once I boarded a train that wasn't going
where I needed to go (fortunately, I realized the error in time) because of
poor signage, and local spelling that didn't match what I'd researched.  This
was 10-12 years back, and the Internet has improved the availability of
information quite a bit - but still the ground truth of the train station is
not always immediately perceivable to a traveler who hasn't been there before.

For this trip the questions have mostly been "why Maastricht and not someplace
with an airport" and I still don't think we've gotten a great answer on this.
E.g. why didn't the IAOC go looking for another venue that met the "close to
airport" criteria?

Mike