Re: IETF 78 Annoucement

2009-05-25 17:48:32
On Mon, 25 May 2009, Patrik Fältström wrote:

One difference is that a plane is quite easy to use. You have someone that
will (at least this has happened to me) stop you if you try to enter the wrong
flight. Then the plane moves, and when it arrived everyone have to exit. With
a train, you have to pick the correct train, and then leave the train at the
correct stop. A bit more complicated to be honest. By interacting with people,
you often can handle the most complicated train ride, but yes, it might be
more complicated with train.

Right, you have to be awake and alert, and sometimes it requires help
from the locals. The train from Amsterdam to Groningen splits in half
at Amersfoort and one half goes somewhat North-West to Leuwarden while
the other goes somewhat North-East to Groningen. I did miss this
detail and ended up in Leuwarden, but this wasn't the end of the world
and I got to Groningen eventually. An unexpected adventure for sure,
but probably one I could have avoided with a little more prior
research, and by asking for help.

But generally speaking, trains run on time better than planes do and
we're not talking about routes where there is only one train per day
here, whereas some second-hop flights that you miss may well be the
final one of the day...

Ole

That said, people (myself included) often make mistakes and fly when train is
easier. Yes, I have been flying domestic in the Netherlands. I do though
believe it was only two different runways on AMS :-) And, I will still
tomorrow take a train from Lund to Stockholm instead of flying because trains
are so much more comfortable (and cheaper). :-)

  Patrik