RE: Last Call: draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management(Guidelines for Considering Operations and Management of NewProtocols and Protocol Extensions) to BCP

2009-06-04 07:36:12
Hi Sam,

A clarification and a clarification question in-line.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Hartman [mailto:hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:23 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
Cc: Sam Hartman; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; opsawg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Last Call:

"Dan" == Romascanu, Dan (Dan) <dromasca(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com> writes:

    Dan> Sam, Thank you for your review and opinions.

    Dan> I would like to remind you and let many people that are not
    Dan> aware about the history of the document know one fact that
    Dan> may be important. This document is an outcome of the
    Dan> discussions hold at the IESG retreat in May 2006. I was then
    Dan> the 'fresh' AD bringing this issue to the IESG table, we
    Dan> discussed approaches on dealing with management in the IETF
    Dan> and the need for a different approach of looking at
    Dan> management than the 'write a MIB' which was the rule in the
    Dan> IETF WGs until then. I took the action item to 'write a
    Dan> draft' on this issue - which then developped in this piece of
    Dan> work chartered in the OPSAWG.
I certainly appreciate the work that has gone into this
draft.  I'm not sure why the origins here are important.  If
you're saying that it should have special status because the
original discussion happened at the IESG level, I disagree.
If you're saying that the content has broad consensus because
it started at the IESG level, I disagree.  If you're saying
that it's important work with a long history, I agree.

None of these - just background information to place this document in
context.

    Dan> and for this reason rightly avoids making
    Dan> a prescription or imposing a fixed solution or format in
    Dan> dealing with operational considerations and manageability
    Dan> aspects of the IETF protocols. I think that it does make
    Dan> however the point that operational deployment and
    Dan> manageability aspects need to be taken into considerations
    Dan> for any new IETF work. The awareness of these issue should
    Dan> exist in any work the IETF engages with, after all we develop
    Dan> technologies and protocols to be deployed and operated in the
    Dan> real life Internet, not abstract mathematical models. It is
    Dan> fine if a WG decides that its protocol needs not
    Dan> interoperable management or no standardized data model, but
    Dan> this should be the result of discussions and decisions, not
    Dan> of mission.

It's not at all clear to me from this document that would be fine.
That's one of my most serious problems with the document.

Can you clarify? I cannot understand what is clear to you and what is
not, and with which statement you do not agree.