Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-opsawg-operations-and-management(Guidelines for Considering Operations and Management of NewProtocols and Protocol Extensions) to BCP

2009-06-04 16:17:55

This does not mean we have to simply accept what they (OPS) say.  But it
does mean we should give it a fair review, looking at the details,
rather than objecting on principle.

This is  absolute nonsense.  Most of  the people actually doing  work in the
various areas do not have the  time, interest, or expertise to do a detailed
review of  an OPS document.   However, these are  the people who are  in the
best position to determine whether "OAM Considerations" would help or hinder
the work that they do.

If we are going to talk about adding new hoops for folks to jump through, we
should first  discuss whether any such  hoops are necessary.   We should not
start the  discussion by looking at  the details of  the particular proposed
hoops.

the OPS area has as much  right to propose their requirements as any other
area  (Transport  Congestion, Security,  ...)   has.   And generally,  the
community has listened to such requests and gone along with them.

Generally,  the community (i.e.,  the folks  doing the  work in  the various
areas) has never even heard  about these proposed requirements until after a
BCP  appears, at  which  time they  are  told that  the  BCP "has  community
consensus".  Perhaps  you're familiar with Douglas  Adams' "The Hitchhiker's
Guide to the  Galaxy".  To paraphrase, "but the plan  for the destruction of
earth was clearly posted in  the planning department on alpha centauri, it's
not our fault you didn't see it".