Re: [Trustees] Proposed Revisions to the IETF Trust Legal Provisions (TLP)

2009-07-18 21:19:02
tme said:
6. Provide the rationale for proposed changes in the future, rather than
a summary listing of the changes

this, to me, is exactly the wrong way for the IETF Trust to work.  I do
not want a "rationale for proposed changes"

it seems to me that the Trust should work in one of 3 ways depending on
the situation

1st way:
The IETF community provides the IETF Trust with a specific request and
the Trust provides possible changes or new text to meet the specific
request.  The IETF request can come form a WG, in which case it should
be in the form of a BCP (an IETF consensus document) or, with a public
justification, from the IETF Chair (or maybe the IAB Chair).  The Trust
publishes the proposed changes with a 4-week last call and the changes
are adopted if the IETF Chair determines that there is IETF consensus
support for the specific changes.

2nd way:
The IETF Trust determines that there is a specific legal risk that must
be countered.  In this case the IETF Trust posts a description of the
specific risk and the proposed change to counter the risk.  In this case
the Trust publishes the proposed changes with a 4-week last call and
adopts the changes if the IETF Chair determines that there is not IETF
consensus against the specific changes.

3rd way:
The IETF Trust determines that there are changes it would like to make
that are not in response to a specific legal risk.  In this case the
Trust publishes a list of the reasons they feel that the changes are
needed and the proposed changes.  (Note: not a list of changes and the
rationale for the changes - I think the IETF needs to agree that the
problems are ones that need fixing first)  The Trust publishes the
proposed changes with a 4-week last call and the changes are adopted
if the IETF Chair determines that there is IETF consensus
support for each specific change.

In no case does the IETF Trust adopt any changes without a public
statement concerning IETF consensus by the IETF Chair.  i.e., there is
no default adoption of changes by the Trust.

Scott