Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-08-31 13:44:56

Steve Crocker wrote:
Point of view: Rather than thinking of the RFID chips as serving to be simply a direct replacement of the blue sheets, take as a given that this will be a new and somewhat different technical foundation with some positives and some negatives. The blue sheets also had positives and negatives, e.g. the cost and pain of storing them, the difficulty and cost of reading them, their legal status and retention policy, etc. Look at the RFID chips from a fresh perspective, not solely as an automation of the blue sheets.

The blue sheets have an established legal role. There's no indication that there is a problem with the information that is obtained, for this role.

They are to be replaced by something that does not provide the same information.

What is the basis for believing they will satisfy the established job for the blue sheet?

What do we do if we find that they fail in this primary use?

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking