RE: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-08-31 13:09:26
Paul Hoffman wrote:
There are probably a dozen WGs in the IETF who have had this problem come
back and bite them on their collective backsides during protocol
development
or, unfortunately, after their protocols have deployed.

Can you give examples of how providing "company/organization affiliation"
has caused bites to the backside during protocol development/deployment?
Were the bites well-deserved?

/Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Paul
Hoffman
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 9:28 AM
To: Alexa Morris
Cc: IETF-Discussion
Subject: Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

At 5:55 AM -0700 8/31/09, Alexa Morris wrote:
The data collected consist solely of an individuals full name and
company/organization affiliation. We are not collecting email address
information on the e-blue sheets.

Please note that you are now also collecting information that *is not* on
the current blue sheets, namely "company/organization affiliation". I have
noted that some people I know who have signed a blue sheet before me have
used personal email addresses while (I assume) their badge lists their
actual "company/organization affiliation". As a person with multiple
company/organization affiliations, I sometimes change the email address I
put on the blue sheets to be the one most appropriate to the topic of the
WG.

It is a bad idea to have this experiment create combined blue sheets that
have data that differs depending on the collection method. There are
probably a dozen WGs in the IETF who have had this problem come back and
bite them on their collective backsides during protocol development or,
unfortunately, after their protocols have deployed.

Please strongly consider having the readers record exactly what the current
blue sheets record, or change the blue sheets to record what the readers are
recording for this meeting. The first of these two will most likely cause
less revolt.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium