Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-08-31 13:58:44

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Ole Jacobsen wrote:
The reason this is an EXPERIMENT is exactly to find out what/how/where/when
information needs to be collected to
be useful for the IETF.

a reasonable goal.

nothing has been offered to indicate that this will do that.

Right, but of of course this hasn't stopped anyone from jumping on
this and saying it's a bad idea etc.

there is a tendency in the IETF to confuse data with information.

This is a technology that is being offered by our HOST. The original
idea expanded beyond the meeting, the card would work on trams, buses
and subways. For various reasons that isn't going to happen, but I
think you will find a lot of "cool stuff" being demonstrated here,
let's just leave it at that for now.

merely doing something differently doesn't mean that it teaches anything
useful.

There is no obligation to participate in the experiment or observe the
cool use of the technology.

this will produce some data -- and it's not entirely clear even what that will
be -- but no indication of what analyses can be done with it to tell us
anything useful.

This isn't something the IAOC came up with as a policy or a bluesheet
replacement, it is merely a technology demonstration. If all it leads
to is some DISCUSSION about what/how we might use it in the future,
then it will have achieved something.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker