Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-09-08 17:45:44
I don't disagree with what you're saying below. I'm advocating that a privacy policy should exist -- what the policy says is another matter. For example, the policy might say, "The IETF collects your data and sells it to identity thieves." Although I doubt that's what it would say, it would still be preferable for that policy to be published than to not be published. One of the core, widely accepted tenets of individual privacy is transparency. I personally doubt that the IETF's practices with respect to the data that it collects will be objectionable to many people, but I think those practices should be known so that the community can judge for itself. I think the practices should be documented -- whether they need to be changed or not is something to discuss once they've been documented.

It is unclear to me whether the data retention policy applies to the RFID data. Perhaps it counts as "Blue Sheets," in which case the data is retained permanently, but that is not immediately obvious from reading the policy. The note on the supplemental RFID page makes it sound as though the RFID data might not ultimately be stored electronically, but it's not totally clear.

Alissa