Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-09-08 17:46:38
I view having the policy in place as the first step. Once there's a policy, we can think about formalizing a process to update the policy. Ideally, when a new experiment introduces a new kind of data collection or use, we would think about the privacy impact in advance of launching the experiment, and adjust the policy accordingly. But it should no doubt be fluid.

This is not rocket science -- it's the process that many other organizations and companies use to address privacy. They develop a policy that covers existing practices, and when a new practice comes along, they analyze the impact of the new practice and whether the policy needs to change, and then they change the policy if necessary. This process might or might not result in constraining what happens to collected data, but the value is derived from having done the analysis, whether or not that analysis affects the ultimate outcome.

Alissa