Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-09-07 16:44:25
Alexa Morris writes:
My apologies, I actually thought that I'd responded to this.

Handheld readers will be passed around the meeting rooms, much as the
clipboards are now (and still will be). Individuals will swipe their
card through the reader and pass it on. Once collected, the data will
be used as the current Blue Sheet data is used, that is, to respond to
subpoena requests for attendance at different sessions typically
issued during a dispute over intellectual property. At the moment, we
are planning to print out a copy of the electronically obtained data
and store it with the regular blue sheets, then keep the source file
with the rest of our electronic archives.

The data collected consist solely of an individuals full name and
company/organization affiliation. We are not collecting email address
information on the e-blue sheets.

Alexa,

Can you clarify what, if any, the security properties of this system
are:

In particular:

1. Will the RFID tag in question respond to any reader or just those
   controlled by the secretariat?
2. Is the information on the tag in the clear or encrypted?

My general experience with RFID systems suggests that the answer to
these questions is likely to be "yes" and "in the clear", but I'd
certainly be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise.

Thanks,
-Ekr