Re: Hiroshima room rates (was Re: Non-smoking rooms at the Hiroshima venue?)

2009-09-09 03:16:49

On Sep 4, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 07:43:15AM -0400, Lou Berger wrote:
Yes.  I checked Sept 14-18.  Try it yourself, I expect you'll get the
same results...

I don't understand why the rate during another period is relevant to
the rate we might get.  Remember that hotels, like everyone else,
charge more when demand is higher.

It's a fair guide as to whether or not the hotel (perhaps with the collusion of the meeting organizers) is putting the thumbscrews to us.

For example, if the IETF attendee room rate is higher than the average rate for the hotel, we might be getting taking advantage of. If it's higher than the recorded maximum general-availability rate, then we almost definitely have a problem. If the IETF attendee rate is higher than the general-availability rate for the same time period, then we're absolutely positively being abused.

I don't know about you, but when I book a thousand rooms from a hotel (giving them a million dollars revenue), plus spend a half-million dollars or more on meeting rooms over a week, I expect the hotel to be fairly generous about guest rooms. And when I've paid $700 or so for a meeting fee, I don't expect the organizer to pad their budget by having the hotel overcharge me on those rooms.

--
Dean