RE: Defining the existence of non-existent domains

2009-12-28 07:37:19
Haai,

[not replying to anyone in particular]

I think we should make and maintain a seperation between two classes of
(reserved) symbols according to their fundamentally different origins:

-Required for one or more protocols to correctly function; and
-Reserved for administrative purposes (which may not hold true on another
network).

Examples of the former would include localhost and perhaps arpa; examples of
the latter would include .example, .invalid, and gTLDs not in use (although a
third category might be useful for the latter, to be managed by ICANN).

The former should be encoded in RFCs, although I agree that a composite list
would be useful. The latter should, in my view, be recorded in a seperate
registry, to be maintained in a similar way to the services list (disclaimer:
I have no idea how the latter is presently maintained); in both cases,
subject to approval, anyone should be able to register a reserved TLD resp. a
network service, and in the latter case, be assigned a number.

In all cases, a flat-formatted text file similar to UNIX' services(5) list
should be made available.

Feel free to shoot me if any of the above is deemed heresy.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!

--