Re: Defining the existence of non-existent domains

2009-12-28 15:09:55
On 28 Dec 2009 01:16:47 -0000
John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

Here's their reserved list:
 LOCALHOST

This one caught my eye, as I know for sure that localhost.<tld> seems
to be registered in most TLDs (both gTLDs and ccTLDs) by actual users
(mostly because I recently looked into purchasing one such domain).

Reading through draft-levine-reserved-names-registry-00, you refer to
RFC 2606 for "LOCALHOST"'s addition, but RFC 2606 specifies "TEST",
"EXAMPLE", "INVALID", and "LOCALHOST" as reserved TLDs, not reserved
second-level domains. Only example.{com|net|org} are mentioned as
reserved second-level domains as per that RFC.

Also, in your I-D, you seem to use "Top" as the level for second-level
domains, which seems confusing and technically incorrect. Seems like
the ones that are second-level domains should be classified as
"Second", "Secondary", or maybe your "Leaf" class, though "Leaf"
seems odd here.

In other notes, I'm happy to see you included "LOCAL" and "TLD" in
your list (as reserved TLDs, I assume), as they have been proposed
multiple times in various places for their addition to the reserved
list, yet nobody has actually done that yet (according to a response
I received from IANA in November). Another possible addition would be
the new IDN test TLDs (http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-test/).

With regards,
~reed

--
Reed Loden - <reed(_at_)reedloden(_dot_)com>