Re: Defining the existence of non-existent domains

2009-12-28 17:00:54
Here's their reserved list:
 LOCALHOST

This one caught my eye, as I know for sure that localhost.<tld> seems
to be registered in most TLDs (both gTLDs and ccTLDs) by actual users
(mostly because I recently looked into purchasing one such domain).

ICANN reserves LOCALHOST as a TLD, not as a second level.

Reading through draft-levine-reserved-names-registry-00, you refer to
RFC 2606 for "LOCALHOST"'s addition, but RFC 2606 specifies "TEST",
"EXAMPLE", "INVALID", and "LOCALHOST" as reserved TLDs, not reserved
second-level domains. Only example.{com|net|org} are mentioned as
reserved second-level domains as per that RFC.

Yes, that's what the I-D is intended to say.

Also, in your I-D, you seem to use "Top" as the level for second-level
domains, which seems confusing and technically incorrect.

Acually, "Top" means "top level domain".  Is that less confusing?

I think I'll do another version which proposes separate IANA
registries of reserved TLDs, special purpose 2LDs in .ARPA, and
special _names.  I see in namedroppers some effort to identify the
protocol and service names for SRV, which should be coordinated with
the more general list I'm doing.

R's,
John