Re: Defining the existence of non-existent domains

2009-12-29 14:11:21
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com>
wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:02:54PM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

If you're proposing that the IETF document a list of names that has
change control and authorship homed within ICANN, then I'm not sure
what the benefit of that is.

Setting aside the mind-bending metaphysical consequences of the
subject line in this thread, I actually think it would be a good idea
if there were, somewhere, a list of undelegated top-level names for
which change control and (policy) authorship nevertheless lie within
ICANN.  At the moment, the canonical list of the reserved names from
ICANN's point of view is buried inside a document that many people
have no reason to consult, because they're not trying to get a new top
level delegation.

I believe that putting together a static list of something that is not
clearly defined when there is no clear policy for adding/removing
items from the list and no clear authority defined to execute the
policy and responsible to keep the list updated will make the list
useless on day D-1.

Not only those "reserved names" are buried in an ICANN's *draft*
document, as I mentioned on a previous message the current policy
under discussion includes language to let registries of new gTLDs to
create at its discretion additional reserved names within their gTLD,
not specifying even at which level in the DNS tree the name might be.

Also each registry agreement may include an specific appendix like in
http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agreements/verisign/appendix-06-01mar06.htm
which states for each TLD/gTLD what names or particular constructs are
reserved, such as one/two character or tagged domains with hyphens in
the third and fourth char positions that I don't believe the proposed
draft mentions.

Perhaps instead of a static list a more complete fyi document could
describe who has the "authority" to reserve names, how, and where the
pertinent information can be obtained.

I believe there is some work related to EPP about how
registrars/registries exchange info about reserved names but I don't
recall the specifics right now.

My .02
Jorge