Re: China blocking Wired?

2010-01-11 14:24:57

On 1/11/2010 11:52 AM, Dean Willis wrote:
How about some practical guidance for the folks who haven't been there
multiple times, beyond "Behave professionally and don't do anything
stupid." We have lots of people who don't know they're "being stupid"
because in their world, what they're doing is absolutely normal and they
have absolutely no expectation of consequences.

Methinks you are implicitly suggesting that the IETF's pages for a site should include some "getting along in the site's country" guidance as an on-going requirement. Methinks this is an excellent idea.

Happily, "Doing Business in..." types of books are common, as is online
information.

For example:

   Chinese Etiquette
   <http://www.goingtochina.com/misc/chinese_etiquette.htm>

   China (especially see the Appearance, Behavior and Communications sections)
   <http://www.cyborlink.com/besite/china.htm>

   Chinese Culture
   <http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/businessculture.html>

 But also quite possibly, they'll trip up some
of our colleagues. Unlike the US, whose border-liabilities are fairly
well understood by IETFers,

Probably not as well "understood" as we might think, and less so, now, with the newly-explicit policy of being unpredictable.

Historically, inconsistencies from one US airport to another have been pretty common. It's really great fun to have a staffer at one airport firmly instruct me on how to avoid future problems at security, with what I carry and how I pack it, given conflicting, firm instruction that I'll get a few months later at another airport.

Here's an example, from my personal repertoire: How many batteries is acceptable for you to carry? Is it the same at every airport? How can yo find out the answer?

If we (the IETF) can't even figure out what China is doing to Internet
traffic, how are we supposed to understand the laws that aren't in our
area of expertise?

Go to pick someone up at San Francisco International, at International Arrivals. There are signs that shout that this is only for immediate pickup. There is a solid line, away from the curb.

Cross that line, and stop at the curb, with the passenger not already standing there -- that is, if you expect to wait a (very) short time -- and you will get a ticket. Not a warning, but a ticket. There is nothing in the signage to tell you this.

Not knowing local laws is a pervasive problem.

>  Oh, and don't travel to the Anaheim
> IETF from Nigeria.

Let's be fair. Traveling to Orange County even from San Francisco is pretty risky, if they find out you are from Northern California.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking