Re: China blocking Wired?

2010-01-15 13:44:15

Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Joel!

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, joel jaeggli wrote:

it's not a secret it's not part of some wierd anti terrorist measure
which is inconsistently enforced for the purposes of obfuscation, it's
just an FAA rule.

DOT != FAA.

If it is an FAA rule can you show us where it says that on the FAA
web site: http://www.faa.gov/

Almost nothing I hear attributed to the FAA is really FAA policy.

You could have just googled up some background instead of assuming I am
wrong.

quote:
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is an agency of the United
States Department of Transportation with authority to regulate and
oversee all aspects of civil aviation in the U.S. (National
Airworthiness Authority). The Federal Aviation Act of 1958 created the
group under the name "Federal Aviation Agency", and adopted its current
name in 1967 when it became a part of the United States Department of
Transportation.

the report summarized in this ppt resulted in the rule.

http://www.fire.tc.faa.gov/ppt/systems/lithium%20bat%20060602.ppt

The notable observation for cargo holds is:

Halon 1301 is ineffective in suppressing a lithium battery fire

RGDS
GARY