RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-06 02:52:48

I guess the chinese (and other affected nationalities) can speak for
themselves, but as far as I know it is not that easy to get a US visa - even
with company backup etc. I have never heard about people having problems
getting a chinese visa, but maybe such problems exist also.

Personally I don't care that much where the meetings take place - I am more
interested WHEN they take place. For me it is the PEOPLE that make a meeting
good or bad - not the location. There are people working in much worse
conditions than we are, and still they manage to do a great job.

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Yoav Nir
Sent: 6. syyskuuta 2010 10:06
To: IETF-Discussion list
Subject: RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

True.

But the visa issues seem to be the worst part of any US IETF.
Travel, food and finding a hotel are typically much easier in
most US venues then European venues.

People from Europe, Japan, Australia, and some other
countries don't need a visa at all to go to an IETF meeting
in the US. People from China, India and the other countries
are generally backed by employers, who can vouch for their
travelling "on business", and generally should not have any
trouble obtaining the US visa.

I would go so far as to say that getting a US visa seems
easier than getting one to China. Who are the people for whom
it's easier to visit a European country than it is to visit the US?

On balance, I think US venues are generally better suited,
and lead to less angst than either European or Asian venues.
Even if they're in a cold place like Minneapolis.