RE: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-06 04:09:12
Christer Holmberg [mailto://christer(_dot_)holmberg(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com]
writes:

I guess the chinese (and other affected nationalities) can speak for
themselves, but as far as I know it is not that easy to get a US visa -
even with company backup etc. I have never heard about people having
problems getting a chinese visa, but maybe such problems exist also.

If you hold a Thai passport & want to attend an IETF in, say, 2013, you had
better apply for a visa now; any meeting before that is likely impossible.

Personally I don't care that much where the meetings take place - I am
more interested WHEN they take place. For me it is the PEOPLE that make
a meeting good or bad - not the location. There are people working in
much worse conditions than we are, and still they manage to do a great
job.

Humans can do amazing things in truly abysmal conditions but how this is
relevant is beyond me unless the contest is to see how miserable we can make
ourselves (3 meetings/year in Minneapolis, anyone?).