RE: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-12 21:12:06
Michael Dillon [mailto://wavetossed(_at_)googlemail(_dot_)com] writes:

I am really uninterested in discussing the Maastricht situation
further except insofar as I think there are lessons in it that
have not been absorbed yet.

I wonder why an attendee who arrived late was left begging at
the train station searching for a taxi. That is a problem that could
be solved by the meeting host making it clear how to call a hotel
shuttle, or other pre-arranged taxi service with an English speaking
driver.

Or by the kind of simple preparation that any traveler might make in the
face of (ubiquitous) uncertainty; for example, googling "Maastrict taxi"
brings up not just half a dozen taxi services but a handy directory of such,
with phone numbers.  Of course, using it would mean that the traveler would
need to ensure not only that their mobile phone functioned in Europe or that
they knew how to use a pay phone but also that they had somehow recorded the
relevant phone numbers.  Even easier, many hotels have cars that can be
pressed into service to pick up arriving guests but that would present the
same problems.  I do not wish to seem insensitive but it seems to me the
major lesson that hasn't been absorbed is that if you go to a foreign city
expecting it to be just like your comfy Texas suburb you are sure to be
disappointed & stressed...