Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-13 17:14:24

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Fred Baker wrote:

As to food issues, I think the hosts of recent meetings at least have
done a pretty good job of pointing people to travel and food options in
the host web sites. I find myself wondering, though, if the data should
be organized in a different way. If we could get hosts to identify
restaurants in the area that cater to muslim (no pork, not even in the
kitchen), jewish (kosher rules), and vegetarian (which has multiple
meanings), and identify grocery stores where people with
medically-driven diets can find appropriate things, that might help.

Probably a good exercise when the site is first considered. If it isn't
easy to collect the information during the initial review, it might
raise a flag as to whether the site is appropriate.

I have an orthodox jewish friend who when coming to my house for a
meal would bring his own meal sealed in foil to be heated and eaten.
I'm NOT suggesting that folks with dietary concerns bring their own
food, but perhaps if the registration process captured the special
dietary requirements, arrangements could be made to have such food
procured by the venue.

Dave Morris