Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-14 11:04:18

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Maastricht suffered an impressive variety of problems.  Worse, some of those
problems have become a recurring pattern.  As examples, we have had a
significant number of venues in recent years that were distant from major
transportation hubs and/or were distant from "local" resources such as the
usual array of hotels, restaurants, markets and the like.

Rewinding eleven:

Hiroshima
Stockholm
San Francisco
Minneapolis
Dublin
Philadelphia
Vancouver
Chicago
Prague
San Diego
Montreal

Of these I can name only Dublin as falling into the category which you
class as a pattern. I am not saying Maastricht or Dublin did not have
problems, I am saying the claim that there is a significant pattern
here is over-stating it.

Please keep in mind that we have several "non-negotiable" requirements
for venue selection. The first is actually availability of venue on
our dates since our dates are FIXED. Proposals for changing the
meeting model won't necessarily change that reality.

Ole