Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-13 10:54:08
I personally am not asking for a fault free venue, however, I am
asking for some very basic things to be considered as part of the
meeting venue selection process:

1) Safety: far more easily achieved when the meeting hotels and venue
are very close to one another in a city center that doesn't shutdown
at 11pm.  There should be readily available transportation from the
main train station or airport at which most participants will arrive.

2) Food: some of us are on a restricted diet for medical reasons
(others for religious or ethical reasons) and it should be possible
for us to buy food at a local market on Sundays, which is often the
only free time some of us have during the week.  The hotel restaurant
should be able to handle the number of people that attend the meetings
and should be willing to serve food when it has been ordered OR to
communicate to the customers that they have shut the kitchen down and
no food will be served.

And obviously, there were several other areas that caused some of us
problems, but if the meeting venue is held in a location that
addresses the safety issue, then we likely would not encounter any of
those either (i.e., purchasing train tickets, etc.)

While no venue is perfect the following venues have been exceptional
in terms of meeting the above two requirements:  Minneapolis, San
Franciso, Paris, London, Chicago, Hiroshima, Yokohama, Vancouver,
Seoul

Some of the other venues have been a bit more pesky in terms of
convenience of food access - e.g., San Diego, Washington, D.C., but
those all had workarounds.

And, while the majority certainly don't share my concerns because they
personally haven't encountered similar issues, there is a minority
that does and since IETF is supposed to be an open organization
supporting a diverse group of participants, I do not believe these are
concerns that should be so readily dismissed.

Regards,
Mary.