Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-14 11:59:02
 As examples, we have had a
significant number of venues in recent years that were distant from major
transportation hubs and/or were distant from "local" resources such as the
usual array of hotels, restaurants, markets and the like.

Of these I can name only Dublin as falling into the category which you
class as a pattern. I am not saying Maastricht or Dublin did not have
problems, I am saying the claim that there is a significant pattern
here is over-stating it.

Please keep in mind that we have several "non-negotiable" requirements
for venue selection. The first is actually availability of venue on
our dates since our dates are FIXED. Proposals for changing the
meeting model won't necessarily change that reality.

Even if you are unwilling to accept these criticisms when CHOOSING venues,
what is wrong with applying some bandaids to fix these problems for those
venues where it is an issue. Even in Dublin and Maastricht there were
"restaurant" districts nearby for those with vehicles. If the hosts or the
IETF had operated a 15 min. shuttle service to the restaurant districts
from 12 noon to 12 midnight, that would likely have resolved most if
not all of the complaints about restaurants.

There really needs to be more creative thinking applied to these problems
in addition with local knowledge. For instance in some venues it might
be better to make bus guides available to take a group on local transit
every 15 minutes rather than having shuttles.

Far better to identify all the people who have issues, and then collectively
brainstorm ways to mitigate the problem without changing the city and
hotel used.