Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-14 11:33:26

On 9/14/2010 8:11 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Noel Chiappa:

I actually vaguely recall discussions about the TOS field (including
how many bits to give to each sub-field), but I can't recall very
much of the content of the discussions. If anyone cares, some of the
IENs which document the early meetings might say more.

See RFC 760, which seems remarkably up-to-date:

     A few networks offer a Stream service, whereby one can achieve a
     smoother service at some cost.

That might have been only a sideways acknowledgment of ST-II.

Bob Braden