Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-16 11:43:27

On 9/15/2010 12:04 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
 I disagree that it "was a direct descendant of ARPANET".  It has
a very different interface (connection oriented vs. message oriented) that
IMHO was not an improvement.

Right.

There were Arpanet folk who participated in standardizing X.25. But as technology comparisons go, X.25 versus Arpanet were probably as far as you can get apart and still be doing packet switching. Per-packet routing versus virtual circuits with fixed routing (in the network) are clearly the major point of disparity. But reliability in the network, versus none, was another as I recall.

d/

ps. There also were Arpanet folk who participated in creating X.400, but it reflected essentially nothing from Arpanet/Internet mail.

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking