Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-15 14:16:48
I think it's actually pretty easy to make the case that a circuit-switched protocol with a sliding window is superior to a stop-and-wait system that required the RFNM from the receiver before every message. In that sense, X.25 was an upgrade over the ARPANET. One problem with coax-based Ethernet was the absence of flow control, which caused bad things to happen to the Internet when IMPs were replaced by Ethernets.

RB