Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-13 15:19:10
Heh...

The TOS field was designed to mimic the DOD's message preemption scheme - lower
priority messages were only sent if there were no higher priority messages
waiting (a message in this case being more like an email than a packet).
Routine, Priority, Operational Immediate, Flash and Flash Override.  Flash
Override messages ALWAYS won.

In 1988, the DDN Program Manager directed the DDN PMO staff to come up with a
way of doing usage-based billing for the MILNET.

Neither of these schemes ever saw real-world implementation/use as far as I
know.

Mike

At 04:03 PM 9/13/2010, Noel Chiappa wrote:
   > From: todd glassey <tglassey(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net>

   > Why not simply ask Len Klienrock the answer to this question.

Umm, OK idea, wrong person: Len wasn't around the early Internet development.

I actually vaguely recall discussions about the TOS field (including how many
bits to give to each sub-field), but I can't recall very much of the content
of the discussions. If anyone cares, some of the IENs which document the early
meetings might say more.

Frankly, I doubt we understood the issues that well back then. Remember, this
was the same time period when we put in the 'Source Quench' ICMP message...

       Noel