Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-14 10:12:11
* Noel Chiappa:

I actually vaguely recall discussions about the TOS field (including
how many bits to give to each sub-field), but I can't recall very
much of the content of the discussions. If anyone cares, some of the
IENs which document the early meetings might say more.

See RFC 760, which seems remarkably up-to-date:

    A few networks offer a Stream service, whereby one can achieve a
    smoother service at some cost.

Admittedly, this sentence did not make it into RFC 791.

(Except that my guess what network non-neutrality is really about is
quite different: usage caps exceptions for content where the content
hoster and the ISP have reached an ad-sharing deal.  QoS rarely works
in practice because no two organizations or departments can agree on a
common set of parameters.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer(_at_)bfk(_dot_)de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99