Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-15 11:17:04
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Not to mention that at the time, the great competitor for all this
new-fangled connectionless datagram stuff was X.25, a pay-per-connection
and pay-per-byte stream service.

As PHB says, intentions back then hardly matter anyway.

Maybe we can leave this debate to some USA local discussion list
where it belongs? Those of us in the economies where there is
competition on the local loop are not that interested.

Now there is an idea that the Internet 'founders' might get behind and
propose to the FCC.

The entire 'Net Neutrality' debate in the US is a consequence of the lack of
competition in the local loop. If I had a genuine choice of broadband
provider, I could chose one that undertook not to sabotage my Vonage service
in order to force me to pay for their own VOIP service.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/